• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 5570 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Hi guys,

This is just a thread I'm posting for those of you that have acquired, will acquire or are considering acquiring these unique pilots.

The short.

After placing them in various premium aircraft I was under the impression that the devs had made a mistake because the mastery skill of the special pilots that was stated as only being active when applied their aircraft actually buffed all these premium aircraft too and appeared to work on them when they should not have. In reality, this is just lazy work by the devs and after testing indeed their primary unique skill does not work, just their secondary unique skill.

The long, including ramifications/considerations/worth

Well, it was not very clear on the Japanese and Russian pilot simply because their primary skill wasn't that which could be seen as being active or not during battle, more placebo or possibly a dev mistake. But with the new UK Pilot Missy Millie Elliot, there can now be no doubt. Regardless of the in-hanger buff being applied in stats to the premium aircraft, it actually doesn't get applied in-battle and with Millie's primary skill that became really obvious as her primary skill is a buff to aircraft HP so what we see is this.

In-hanger with no pilot, note the HP on the aircraft survivability in this case. HP = 243

Spoiler

Same aircraft WITH Millie and here apparently NOT working primary special skill. HP = 269

Spoiler

And what we actually get in-battle, regardless of the apparent primary skill applying that shouldn't lol... yup, it actually doesn't work... back down to 243 HP. You can see her in the cockpit there too, so indeed regardless of her primary skill apparently working when we look at the aircraft stats in the hanger, the skill that shouldn't work actually.... doesn't lol.

So what does this mean and what value are these pilots really?

Well, imho it almost instantly kills off the Russian lad as a viable option for other aircraft and premiums. The problem with Vlad is that his primary skill is the only skill worth having or perhaps it's more his secondary skill that kills him off for use in any other aircraft. The only buff you will get from Vlad when placed in a non-La-5 is a reduction to catching fire by 20% and -10% AA damage. For me, that's practically useless and like I said, kills this chap off for use in any other aircraft, he's pretty much just for an La-5 and so if you like the La-5, good, if not... sadly its almost a useless pilot in fact you can see in the screenshot I didn't even pick that secondary skill for him as I find it practically useless at this point, the La-5 doesn't tend to catch fire often anyway plus it's actually the other fire fighting skill that's better on a light fighter.

For the Japanese Pilot Akira, it's a better story that sad Vlad. Now, I think most would find Akira's skillset options to be just straight up better than Vlads anyway. With Akira, again its a light fighter pilot and with that we get +10% gun range, +10% burst, +10% gun damage and of course the real cherry on top, +10% maneuverability in all directions which is just delicious for an already highly agile light fighter. But of course, not all of these will apply to other aircrafts when we place her in them. The difference between Akira and Vlad here is that Akira's secondary special skill is +10% gun range and +10% burst. So while we lose the +10% agility and +10% gun damage, the skills that DO work are actually very nice for a premium aircraft such as the Japanese options that will all benefit from the extra gun range and burst plus most of the European options too such a the SE 100 heavy fighter and the S-199 multi. Any aircraft not particularly noted for having mind blowing levels of agility anyway, so she's still a viable pilot option outside of her A6M5. 

As for Millie Cyrus... well, her secondary skill that actually does work on other pilots is a much better deal than sad Vlad too. With Millie, we get +4% manu instead of that skills typical +2% and of course a really nice +10% vs moving target accuracy.

Bottom line IMHO.

For me, they have one major problem that ultimately ruins them and it's this. Sadly we CANNOT reset their primary skill and for me that almost kills them off, even the better options like the Akira and Millie. I could get over not having their primary special skill applied, that's ok, that's fine... but I just can't accept the inability for not being able to at least reset all their skills and get those very valuable 2 skill points back from the inoperative primary.  

The problem with not being able to reset the primary skill for those 2 skill points is that it makes obtaining the skills you would normally have for other aircraft as a minimum pretty grindy to achieve. Whatever skill setup you would take for other aircraft, it's gonna need another 2 point more grinding than that of a normal pilot. For example, if we look at Millie, she would be an amazing sharp shooter with her secondary skill and marksman 2 for what would be +20% vs moving accuracy along with upgraded optics for a total of +25%. Now that would be really nice BUT, you're going to have to grind a total of 11 skillpoints for that instead of a much more attractive and achievable 9 skillpoints should the non-applicable primary skill actually reset which sadly it doesn't. You might say it doesn't take that many skillpoints but of course I am also including the must have skill Aerodynamics Expert which no specialized plane worth its salt is going to go without(for aircraft killing classes anyway). And if course, should you actually manage to grind 11 skillpoints for her, I couldn't help but keep reflecting on the fact that if her non-applicable primary skill DID actually reset, then I'd also have either Demolition Expert or Rocketeer skill now too for those 11 points but sadly don't... grind 13 points anyone? lol. 

So what's their value?

Well that's up to you obviously. No doubt their actual designated aircraft should be a big consideration. As it happens I have really enjoyed the A6M5(always wanted a strong Zero offering as a history fan boy)) and to a lesser extent, I also kinda like the La-5. Gonna give the Tornado a fair shake and specialize it before judging it but with Millie's skillset it's certainly going to be better than whatever it would be with a standard pilot, maybe better enough to be a genuine fun multi. I hope this may be of use to anyone and might save them a few euro's or pounds etc. So far as I am aware, there are other pilots currently for sale where both primary and secondary special skills DO APPLY even when transferred to other aircraft, just not the 3 mentioned above.

Edited by TungstenHitman, 08 April 2021 - 07:18 PM.

TungstenHitman #2 Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:24 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 5570 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Oh and on a barely slightly related topic in regards the Tornado. I'd really very much like if we had the option to chose the fuselage style options once we elite the aircraft. Now, I won't argue with anyone for why that might be a bad idea but when I unlocked the second engine it turned into this bad-asz Typhoon looking beast with the big air cooler and what looks like two stacked engines based on the exhaust pipe layout which made it aesthetically fun to play but sadly when I unlocked the top engine it changed into a somewhat antiquated looking tamer version and whenever it gets specialized sadly it will only look like the later instead of the beast with the big mouth... ya, it would be nice to be able to pick and chose those options once elited since we would have unlocked them anyway...

Second engine. Ultra-sexy and badasz

Top engine upgrade. Meh..... boring as...

Edited by TungstenHitman, 08 April 2021 - 07:25 PM.

drakkanax #3 Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 6021 battles
  • [R2_D2] R2_D2

Another easy way to test this was to check your boost time with Vasiliy(definitely not Vlad). I did just that the moment I got him.

It's just lazy programming that doesn't take into consideration aircraft locked skills in hangar stats. What did you expect? Quality control? Code reviews? baah..

The pilots are still very useful IMO if you have to take on specific missions in the future that apply to their intended planes. They are quite powerful in those.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users