Does the game handicap your team when you have boosters activated?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

ArchangelThunderbird_GB_ #1 Posted 17 October 2021 - 11:15 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1643 battles
  • [OUCH-] OUCH-
Do you think this game handicaps your team in some way, if you have boosters activated? I keep a record of the number of wins vs. defeats when I have boosters activated. I find that the typical ratio of wins:defeats, with boosters activated is only about 3:7. Does anyone experience the same? I'm sure it's not due to my lack of skill, because I more often than not end up in the best-performing 3 pilots on my team.

Edited by aauk, 17 October 2021 - 09:31 PM.

GonerNL #2 Posted 17 October 2021 - 06:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 16214 battles
It's a lottery ... boosters have noting to do with it. RNG rules.

prawiejakzywiec666 #3 Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:59 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 22919 battles
  • [-WRE-] -WRE-

View Postaauk, on 17 October 2021 - 11:15 AM, said:

Do you think this game handicaps your team in some way, if you have boosters activated? I keep a record of the number of wins vs. defeats when I have boosters activated. I find that the typical ratio of wins:defeats, with boosters activated is only about 3:7. Does anyone experience the same? I'm sure it's not due to my lack of skill, because I more often than not end up in the bests-performing top 3 performing pilots on my team.

Flying with or without bosters is the same thing.

A noble strimer when he is not strimin:
Noble strimer not strimin

Xzanman #4 Posted 18 October 2021 - 10:47 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 9726 battles

It sure does feel like that sometimes,especially when new to the game.

Maybe it's a psychological thing, because we have boosters running we try harder and are less relaxed which leads to game losing mistakes.

Personally I blame my aging cpu, the extra math involved with boosters gives me less fps :teethhappy:

ArchangelThunderbird_GB_ #5 Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1643 battles
  • [OUCH-] OUCH-

View PostXzanman, on 18 October 2021 - 10:47 AM, said:

Maybe it's a psychological thing, because we have boosters running we try harder and are less relaxed which leads to game losing mistakes.

Sorry, but I've tested it again and again. The numbers don't lie. I can only speak for myself, of course, but it's becoming hard to believe anything except that I'm playing against loaded dice. The appalling ratio of wins vs. defeats (about 3:7 with boosters active) continues, even since I upgraded my plane to elite status and my skills improved. This ratio should even-up to 5:5 over the long-run, but it hasn't (for me, at least). I definitely don't play worse when I have boosters active. If this continues, I will only be able to conclude the worst and will not be continuing to supporting this game.

Edited by aauk, 20 October 2021 - 01:12 PM.

TheNobleQ #6 Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:43 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 26136 battles
What's the sample size?  If it's not thousands, the SD will be too large for the numbers have any meaning.

andrew3142 #7 Posted 20 October 2021 - 02:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 14195 battles

I'm with NobleQ on this one

Given the level of development of this game and the relatively recent introduction of boosters, I think it is very unlikely that anyone spent any effort implementing any such bias - why bother? There seems to be no up-side for WG in doing such a thing!

Occam's Razor and all that

houghtonbee #8 Posted 20 October 2021 - 05:01 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 10401 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
I tend to get more disconnects with them on :D

TungstenHitman #9 Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:20 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 9108 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

No obvious difference.

If you're inexperienced and flying weak offerings of aircraft then the battle results are largely out of your hands and you're pretty much going to be dead weight until you get good and get good aircraft.

That's nothing got to do with boosters obviously.

What you need to do is keep a good sector capturing score going and kill ratio of about 10:1 unless it's a bomber obviously in which case you just need to keep up a high sector flipping score. If you're only taking 1-2 sectors per battle and only making a few kills, you're not a reason the team won and most likely one of the reasons the team lost.

Xzanman #10 Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 9726 battles
As many reasons as there are not to support the game, I don't think this is one. 

u4abit2 #11 Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 8001 battles

Ironically have you ever noticed how when you take a break from the game for a while and come back, for the most part your first battle nearly always results in victory?

Yet when you play back to back games for a few hours you regularly find yourself feeling like the match engine is punishing you for something :)

I remember playing with a guy a few years back that insisted on chatting for 10 minutes between battles, it was irritating, but the success rate was high,

true story.

My problem being that for the last 5 years i seem to have acquired 2 very young relatives that take over my computer on weekends and love to swing off my joystick like its a climbing frame whilst playing this game.

Win ratio? Forget it, 

Take a breather for a few minutes between battles and see how you fare.

ArchangelThunderbird_GB_ #12 Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1643 battles
  • [OUCH-] OUCH-

View Postu4abit2, on 21 October 2021 - 07:38 AM, said:

Yet when you play back to back games for a few hours you regularly find yourself feeling like the match engine is punishing you for something 

Yes. I just did another session with boosters enabled, and with a few seconds break between battles. The first eight of the twelve battles were consecutive defeats! The probability of that happening, if the opposing teams had a fair and equal chance of winning, is around 1:256 !

Edited by aauk, 23 October 2021 - 08:58 AM.

Xzanman #13 Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:14 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 9726 battles

The teams are rarely equal or fair, it's not the nature of the game, for most middling players it's a dice throw if you end up in a winning or losing team, or in a balanced battle. 

I am sure even the better players that don't overly stack the odds in their favour struggle with loss streaks.

I can't see how or why using boosters would change anything. 

Some believe having a premium account makes you win more if you pay for it but lose more if its free premium time. 

I do not doubt  aauk,  your experience with boosters but it's certainly a coincidence. 

ArchangelThunderbird_GB_ #14 Posted 25 October 2021 - 07:24 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1643 battles
  • [OUCH-] OUCH-

View PostXzanman, on 24 October 2021 - 12:14 AM, said:

The teams are rarely equal or fair, it's not the nature of the game, for most middling players it's a dice throw if you end up in a winning or losing team, or in a balanced battle. 

I am sure even the better players that don't overly stack the odds in their favour struggle with loss streaks.

I can't see how or why using boosters would change anything. 

Some believe having a premium account makes you win more if you pay for it but lose more if its free premium time. 

I do not doubt  aauk,  your experience with boosters but it's certainly a coincidence. 

My luck was better, yesterday (at last), so perhaps it was just a freak run of bad luck. I will continue to keep tabs on it and see.

Edited by aauk, 25 October 2021 - 07:28 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users